Friday, January 24, 2014

if i were prettier

So, I'm a mom. It's not ALL I am but it's a BIG part. I'd say I spend roughly 94.38% of my time caring for my children, playing with my children, crafting with my children, cleaning my children, teaching my children and, just generally thinking about my children. With this amount of time spent on children you must assume I have a family with 4 or 5 kids. Nope, just 2. I know what you're thinking ... "maybe she smothers them just a teeny bit and needs to get a life!". Well, that's just it. I do have a life and, quite frankly, I love it. That is not the same thing as saying "I love everything about my life" so just calm down! There is a lot I would change about my home, my husband, my crazy kids, my body, my moods ... all of it! But, at the great old age of 41 I can easily see that there is so much to love about the drive-me-crazy-make-me-want-eat-M&Ms-and-drink-chardonnay-all-day parts as well as the super-fun-how-did-i-get-this-lucky parts.

Example: The other night I was snuggling in bed with my 2 munchkins and we were getting silly just hugging and loving on each other. (Note: this was especially nice because my 4 year old son passes out hugs to his mama very sparingly so to get a couple of hugs unsolicited is a big deal.) Then, out of the blue, my son announces, "Mommy, you are pretty (awwwww!) but, if you were prettier and smelled better I would hug you more (WHAT?!)." Ouch. That just plain hurt. You see, I had just come from the salon with my very cute short-hair-don't-care cut. Didn't he notice? And, I had actually showered that day ... with soap! Doesn't that get me a few 'smell good' points? (Sigh.) Here's the thing I realized ..... my son was simply sharing his little heart with me and just wanted me to listen to his complaints. If his own mama can't listen calmly to his points with out overreacting then how will he learn to trust someone with his feelings? I'm glad he spoke candidly with me. I should have done the same .... "Ummm, excuse me but who's been cleaning and comforting your sick little sister each and every time she's vomited the last two days?!". Oh, wait, I guess I didn't smell that great after all ....

3 comments:

  1. Mar Mar - this blog makes me happier than you will ever know! You are SUCH a good momma and are a rock star at balancing it all :) And I think you are GORG!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are awesome. See you Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE IT!!!! You are amazing even covered in vomit.....

    ReplyDelete